Ordinary Wife: The True Story of America's Forgotten Serial Killer
Did you know that flypaper used in the early 1900’s contained enough arsenic to kill a man? Lyda Trueblood, an Idaho housewife, figured it out. In fact, she made sure her first four husbands took out life insurance policies with her as the beneficiary before they “mysteriously” died after falling ill with severe stomach distress, as did a brother-in-law and her own two-year-old daughter.
I don’t read a lot of non-fiction these days, but when I was offered Gregg Olsen and his daughter Morgan Olsen’s newest book, Ordinary Wife, I was intrigued by the story of this woman who seemed to kill without conscience, yet had no shortage of men willing to take her latest dead husband’s place.
I read my fair share of thrillers, but honestly this was riveting stuff, not because it was action packed or terribly suspenseful, but because this was a glimpse into an actual human’s mind that seemed to exist without empathy or regard for anyone outside herself. We’re numb to stories of men who commit these types of crimes, but our natural inclination is to think women aren’t capable of such callousness, and this book sets that myth straight. The historical details of Lyda's crimes and her subsequent trial with all the many witness testimonies kept me glued to the pages!
I found it interesting that so many mentions were made of how attractive and alluring Lyda was to men. I Googled photos of her and found her to look quite plain by today’s standards, but it was a different time. Apparently, she was quite soft-spoken and charming which might’ve added to her appeal. It was fascinating to read about how people were drawn to her.
If you want a break from fiction and you want to see how the law caught up with one of America’s first female serial killers, this really is an excellent, compelling read! I haven’t read Olsen’s work before, but I’ll be looking for his other books now.
★★★★
Thanks to Notorious Press, NetGalley and authors Gregg and Morgan Olsen for this digital ARC to honestly review. It’s out on October 27, 2026



Comments
Post a Comment