Romantic Hero


One thing you should know about me from the start: I’m really not into cowboy-themed anything, much less books, so it’s a testament to Kirsty Greenwood’s writing chops that I’d put that aside to read a book whose MMC River Oakley is a bona fide Stetson-wearing, ranch owning Texas cowboy! Did I say I don’t like cowboys? I’m willing to re-evaluate. 


So who is this guy that lassoed my attention so well? For starters, he’s the fictional creation of this book’s FMC: London author Gertie Bickerstaff who wrote him as a side character and villain in her popular Bedlam Creek romance series. Yep … saddle up. Yet another book character has escaped their pages! To be fair, it wasn’t his fault.


It started with the love of Gertie’s life, Henry, unexpectedly asking that they press pause on their relationship, leading to the usual emotional fallout and a wicked case of writer’s block for Gertie, whose final book in the series is due in a couple weeks.


With her literary agent Bridget growing more nervous by the day, Gertie has nothing to lose when her quirky neighbor Mrs. Casablancas suggests a ‘manifestation ceremony’ to ask the powers-that-be (some of whom are quite funny) to grant them their wishes. Let’s just say that what Gertie wished for and what she got wasn’t what she had in mind, but perhaps fate knows what she needs more than she does!


River Oakley could charm the skin off a rattlesnake without even trying hard. He’s just the kind of guy who commands attention even when he’s not asking for it. To Gertie’s surprise, he’s also not the one-dimensional bad boy she wrote him to be. Furthermore, he insists that he’s real and he knows things about Bedlam Creek that she never wrote. How could this be?


I’ll leave you to discover the rest of this delightful story, because it really is a gem. It was an immersive read with my Kindle and the audio, dual narrated by Taj Atwal and Jared Zeus, whose deep Texas drawl has clued me in on the appeal of this whole cowboy thing!


In all seriousness, though, River really is such a funny, sweet, sincere, occasionally grumpy, but always genuine guy and it was so fun to spend time in his world. I haven’t talked about her much yet, but Gertie … awkward, insecure, smart, witty, kind-hearted Gertie, who’s as likely to have one foot on the ground and one in her mouth is such a great character as well. Watching her dynamic with River was the highlight of this wonderful book! I also have to mention Mrs. Casablancas and her dog Squish who added some extra ‘zany’ to the mix.


This is one of the funniest, cutest rom-coms I’ve read in a long time. I’m sure I must’ve looked odd to the people who passed me while I laughed at what I was listening to. If you need proof, read the prologue and tell me you can get through that with a straight face! 


If you enjoy a charming story that features opposites attract, fake dating, magical realism, book characters in the real world, a terrific personal growth arc, and a surprisingly tender and thoughtful thread about healing from past wounds, look no further. This is sure to put the ”giddy” in your giddy up!


★★★★★ 


Thanks to Berkley Publishing, NetGalley and author Kirsty Greenwood for the digital ARC to honestly review and my library/Libby for the audio. It’s out now.



 

Comments

Popular Posts