Better Left Unsent




 

I have a confession. I didn’t really want to read this. Don’t get me wrong - I really like Lia Louis’ books, but I’ve read a lot of romance over the last couple months, and there’s only so much kissy kissy ‘happy time’ I want to hear about. With any genre, there can be too much of a good thing before burnout sets in. The ‘meh’ cover and mixed reviews didn’t help matters.

I decided to wait for the audiobook from my library to listen along as I read it, and you know what?

I absolutely LOVED every minute of it. It’s one of my favorites from this year so far! It perfectly represents why “Don’t judge a book by its cover” exists.

I liked it so much, in fact, that I was scratching my head wondering why it isn’t getting more love in the ratings. I have a theory on that, but first the synopsis:

The story revolves around Leigh-on-Sea, UK office receptionist Millie Chandler using UNSENT email drafts as an ad hoc diary to express her honest thoughts. She gets things off her chest and none of the recipients are ever the wiser. Operations manager Jack Shurlock, for example, never needs to find out she’s been lusting for him since their near kiss at the office Christmas party. Friends, family, co-workers … you name it … she’s written over 100 messages, ranging from harmless to potentially painful or embarrassing. What they don't know can't hurt them, right?

Imagine her horror when she finds out one day that the bulk of those emails got sent somehow!

In Millie’s new reality, there’s life B.E. (Before emails) and A.E. (After emails). With the support of her best friend Cate, landlord/roommate Ralph, manager Petra, parents and to her pleasant surprise, office crush Jack, will Mailgate be the end of her or an unexpected new beginning? Needless to say, there’s a lot of fallout to work through!

OK, back to my theory on the mixed ratings.

The story is told from Millie’s first person POV interspersed occasionally with her email and text exchanges. Had I ONLY read it, I’m not sure the humor and emotion in those exchanges would’ve come through as well. Ashley Tucker narrated the audiobook, and she reminded me so much of Renee Zelwegger in Bridget Jones’ Diary that I immediately loved everything that came out of her mouth! The humor was spot on, and the more poignant interactions between characters came through perfectly. It had a nice balance of funny and sweet with a welcome emotional maturity that you don’t always get in this genre.

My other theory is that this is a fairly clean romance where the sexual tension between Millie and Jack is suggested more than explicitly shown, so those who prefer extra spice, open doors and play-by-plays will be disappointed. Personally, this book was like finding water in the desert for me! I’m over the highly descriptive, OTT spice in books lately, and it’s been hard to find romance without it this year. Kudos to Louis for letting readers use their imagination!

Usually I’d say either format, print or audio, would be fine for a book, and it’s true this time as well, but I honestly think BOTH is even better! I laughed so many times and felt all the feels listening to Tucker’s wonderful narration. Millie and Jack’s fun chemistry, her hilarious friends and co-workers, a creative plot, nice character growth arcs and even a touch of mystery made this a 5-star read and a favorite for me!


★★★★★ ❤


Thanks to Atria/Emily Bestler Books, NetGalley and author Lia Louis for this digital ARC to honestly review and to my library/Libby for the audio. It’s out now.


Comments

Popular Posts