Funny Story

 



How did I get to this point in my life having never read Emily Henry? HOW? Better late than never as they say! THIS is the book I’ve been hoping I’d find in what’s been a rough patch for me with the romance genre this year. I laughed, I teared up, my heart raced at times, and I ended this book with the contented sigh of a happy reader. Aaaaaah. *Chef's kiss*

Children’s librarian Daphne is engaged to Peter and preparing for the perfect future in their beautiful home. Unfortunately, his long-time best friend, Petra, has chosen his bachelor party as the right time to confess her feelings for him … feelings which he suddenly realizes he has for her too! This leaves Daphne not only heartbroken but now homeless, and in a twist of fate and fortune that could only happen in a rom-com, she ends up finding a new roommate in none other than Petra’s now jilted fiance, Miles. You know the saying: misery loves company!

In what begins as the male-female version of The Odd Couple, straight-laced Daphne and earthy Miles find they have far more in common than they realized and friendship blossoms, with Miles coaxing Daphne out of her shell a bit, and Daphne offering a safe place for Miles to open up about his past. Over time, they both begin to realize that the dysfunction they grew up in doesn’t need to define who they are now. (Wow, did I relate to that part of the story!)

This book had everything I could want: two likable MCs with AMAZING chemistry, a well-paced arc from friends to lovers, hilarious banter, emotional depth, a beautiful Michigan setting, a thoughtful and realistic storyline, and a brilliant cast of secondary characters - I particularly adored Miles’ sister Julia, and Daphne’s co-worker/friend Ashleigh. So fun! The cherry on top? The narration by Julia Whelan. I listened to this as I read along on my Kindle, and Whelan’s gender voicing and overall storytelling made my first Henry book extra special!

Fair warning: there’s a moderate level of spice, so those who don’t prefer that may need to skip a few scenes. I don’t love open-door scenes myself, but it worked here because it felt natural and believable. You feel the pain Daphne and Miles have gone through and the evolution of their friendship, so when it gets to those scenes you not only feel the mutual attraction that's grown between them, but also their visceral NEED for one another. The slow-build to it was perfect!

If you want a rom-com that’s the complete package - HERE. IT. IS. I can’t sing its praises enough! Emily Henry will be an-auto request author for me from now on.

★★★★★❤

Thanks to Berkley Publishing, Netgalley, and author Emily Henry for this digital ARC to honestly review and to my library/Libby for the audio. It’s out now!

Comments

Popular Posts