Finlay Donovan Rolls the Dice (Finlay Donovan #4)


If ever a duo epitomized the saying Out of the frying pan and into the fire, it’s Finlay and Vero! 

My favorite magnets for trouble are back and as usual they’re attracting ALL of it! 


This fourth book in the series hits the ground running immediately after the crazy events of the Citizens’ Police Academy in the previous book. Under the guise of needing a girls’ weekend in Atlantic City to recover, Finlay and Vero, in classic fashion, intend to fix a debt to a menacing loan shark, recover a stolen Aston Martin and save Vero’s abducted friend, Javi, all while trying to avoid Felix, the Russian mob boss that’s on the loose!


There seems to be no mess that Finlay and Vero can’t find themselves in, but one they didn’t anticipate? Ending up with Finlay’s ex-husband Steven and their two kids, Delia and Zach, as well as her mom along for the ride, because … OF COURSE! When sexy Detective Nick Anthony unexpectedly shows up in Atlantic City with an FBI agent and several of his FCPD associates, including Finlay’s sister Georgia, to protect Finlay … typical craziness ensues!


Expecting a story with Finlay and Vero to be anything BUT over the top, is missing the point of this series, in my opinion! In the same spirit as Lucy and Ethel in I Love Lucy, the humor rests in the ridiculous, absurd scenarios they find themselves in. If you’re looking for believability, this is definitely not your series! Chuck your brain aside and just roll with it! Having said that, I can understand those who feel a bit fatigued by the silliness. I love it, but not everyone will.


I had a blast with this on audiobook. I don’t think I can do this series anymore without hearing Angela Dawe expertly embody every age, personality and gender. She nails every single voice - even the kids. As much as she is now Finlay in my mind, she’s Vero even more! I could listen to her do Vero’s snarky comebacks all day long and never tire of it!


If you enjoy a fast-paced, fun mystery with constant twists and turns and a host of hilariously charming characters, this is a book and series I highly recommend. After the first book, this may be my next favorite! As always, I can’t wait to see what misadventures lie ahead for Finlay and Vero. The last sentence of this book has me SO curious!


★★★★ ½  


Thanks to Minotaur Books, NetGalley and author Elle Cosimano for this digital ARC and to Macmillan Audio for the ALC to honestly review. This will be out on March 5, 2024.



 

Comments

Popular Posts