Last Word to the Wise (Christie Bookshop #2)

 


Have you ever read or listened to a book that you know is objectively well-written, has solidly developed characters and a perfectly good plot and for whatever reason, you still can’t quite get into it?


It truly is through no fault of the book … it could’ve been the next <i>War and Peace</i> and I think I still would’ve come to the end and said, “Well, that was nice” and moved right along. Sometimes, it’s all about the timing.


Having said that, this second entry in Ann Claire’s charming Christie Bookshop series is going to appeal to those who are in the mood for a good cozy mystery with strong female leads - in this case sisters Ellie and Meg Christie (no relation to the real Agatha, though their cranky but lovable cat Agatha C. Christie is a fine substitute!)


This time around, Ellie and Meg’s pushy cousin Lorna has set the two up on dates through her latest business venture - a book lovers matchmaking service.  Though hesitant, Meg ends up smitten with her bookish date, Mr. Joe Darcy, while unlucky-in-love Ellie politely listens to her date pompously ramble on about his adoration of author Samuel Beckett. Unfortunately, Meg’s love match is short-lived when Mr. Darcy is found murdered the next day, leaving her - the last person to see him alive - as the prime suspect.


As in last year’s Dead and Gondola, the Christie family: Ellie, Meg, Gran and Meg’s daughter Rosie, spring into action to investigate - this time to clear Meg’s name. Complicating things are some unexpected discoveries about the ‘good’ Mr. Darcy and the return of Meg’s ex and Rosie’s dad, Cameron. With a nice mix of new and old characters, there are plenty of potential culprits for those who love to armchair sleuth. My biggest issue with the story is simply that I couldn’t buy into the motivation for the murder. It was too big a stretch for me, but not so unbelievable that it would bother others.


This time around I read while listening on audio, which was nicely narrated by Morgan Dalla Betta. I think this is a series that would be equally enjoyable in either format.


It’s an admirable sophomore effort which, had I been in the right mood and not just read another cozy crime book, I’m confident I would’ve enjoyed more. It’s a fun series and one that I would still recommend for those who love a good cozy mystery. I know I’ll still be in line for the next!


★★★ ½  


Thanks to Random House Publishing - Ballantine, NetGalley and author Ann Claire for this ARC to honestly review. It’s now available.



Comments

Popular Posts