Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard


As a person who’s not particularly drawn to memoirs nor to the evolution of child stars into adults, I find myself having just finished my THIRD such book this year! I’m sure a therapist would tell me that I’m processing my own childhood through the safe lens of looking at someone else’s. I’m also sure my parents would be pleased that my expensive college education in psychology has served me so well. 😉 Whatever the reason, when I saw that Tom Felton - “Draco” of Harry Potter movie fame - had written a memoir, my curiosity was piqued!


This didn’t disappoint. Whereas the character of Draco was sneering, mocking, contemptuous  and entitled, Tom Felton, the man, is self-effacing, witty, insightful and ever so kind as he recalls his journey into acting, the hugely formative years of filming the Harry Potter movies and his experiences, both good and bad, as an actor and person after that ended. The insights into the filming of the Harry Potter movies, which I love, was especially fun.


You won’t find one bit of salacious gossip or back-biting toward anyone he acted alongside, which was soooo refreshing. Quite the opposite, he lifts up and praises his fellow actors like Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Rickman, Jason Isaacs, Helena Bonham-Carter and many others, and shares deeply thoughtful insights and hilarious anecdotes that are sure to bring tears or chuckles to their fans. His chapter on Emma was particularly poignant and sweet. I finished this book thinking  … I want a friend like this!


Not all was rosy and positive. Tom details his more mischievous, ornery and occasionally disruptive ways as a child actor and adult as well. Sadly, as it feels almost cliche for former child actors, he also experienced some mental health issues that he used alcohol and weed to cope with until life forced the issue of getting help.  To see him make the choice to change and reap the benefits of that is inspiring, and you really can’t help but root for him as a person.


If you’re going to get this book, I can’t recommend the audiobook highly enough. Tom narrates it himself and it has to be one of the most endearing, sweet audiobook experiences I’ve ever listened to! 


He may have been a bad boy onscreen, but I can’t see anything but a good man now!


★★★★ ½ 


Thanks to Libby and my library for this audiobook.



 

Comments

Popular Posts