What Have We Done


If you’re like me, your enjoyment of this book may at least partly depend on two things:

     1. How badly you wanted another story featuring Special Agent Sarah Keller from Finlay’s last two books. I’m going to rip that bandaid off … she’s not in it. Sorry.

     2. How much you enjoy high adrenaline mystery/thrillers with moments of intense action.

I’m married to an action-thriller movie buff, so even if I prefer my stories a little calmer, the occasional blood-pumping, edge-of-your-seat film can be fun. I think that’s why this book worked for me. It’s a straight-to-screen type of book. It’s got action, chills, thrills, peril, cat-and-mouse chases, threats, violence, corruption, characters overcoming the odds, contract killers, diverse characters, and once again some serious badass female energy!

I’ll keep the synopsis brief: Jenna, Donnie and Nico all lived in a less-than-stellar group home as children called Savior House until girls started disappearing from it.  Now, as adults, each of them have moved on to vastly different lives: Jenna, a wife and mom of two stepkids, Donnie, a boozing, past-his-prime rockstar, and Nico, a reality TV producer with a gambling addiction. After the murder of their fellow Savior House friend, Benny - a federal judge - each of them are also targeted by someone who wants them dead. But who … and why?

I liked but didn’t love Donnie and Nico’s characters. They were both so damaged by the past, but their behavior didn’t always elicit my sympathy.  Jenna made up for them. When her family is threatened and she dials into the training from her secret past … watch out! Let’s just say, I wouldn’t want to get on her bad side.  At least she’s using her talents to help, unlike those who are after her, Donnie and Nico. They’re just straight up scary! Like super creepy, psychotic, messed up scary. It’s a wild story with a heart-pounding ending and an epilogue you’ll want to stick around for. 

It’s a change of pace from the last two books, but on its own merits I enjoyed it.  I’m hoping it makes it to the big screen so I can watch it with my hubby. I’m pretty sure he’d like it!

★★★★ 

Thanks to St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, NetGalley, and author Alex Finlay for this digital ARC to honestly review. It’s due for publication on March 7, 2023.


 

Comments

Popular Posts