In the Lives of Puppets


For a book that’s almost entirely inhabited by androids and machines, this may be one of the most human books I’ve read in a long time! 


Synopsis: Giovanni Lawson, an android and inventor, has built a home in the forest with his human son, Victor, and two machines Victor salvaged: Rambo, an adorably neurotic and talkative vacuum and Nurse Ratched (Nurse Registered Automaton to Care, Heal, Educate, and Drill), who’s loyal, hilariously blunt and just a wee bit sociopathic! When Victor, Rambo and Nurse Ratched discover a decommissioned and damaged android who they name Hap, after his visible letters H.A.P.,Victor doesn’t realize his well-intentioned efforts to restore it will cause a cascade of events that unearths Gio’s past and threatens all of their futures. 


Soon it becomes clear that the machines have no room for humanity in their plans. Only Victor’s peril-filled journey to the City of Electric Dreams with Nurse Ratched, Rambo and Hap to rescue Gio will decide what everyone’s future holds … or if there will be one at all. 


My Thoughts: I LOVE this story. I’ve read three books now by TJ Klune and every one of them has made me laugh, cry, worry, grumble and just FEEL all the things. There’s so much insight and thought in what he writes that it never feels like “just a story”.  You may not agree with every idea presented, but I guarantee they’ll make you think and that’s always a good thing!


The blurb says the story is inspired by Carlo Collodi's Pinocchio. I see some nods and references, but this is very much its own story, which I was so thankful for since I’m not a Pinocchio fan. Don’t let the word “puppets” scare you off, because there are NO creepy, nose-growing puppets in this story! It seems more a reference to the strings of thought that pull one to think and behave the way they do. There were also some Wizard of Oz vibes for me with the destination journey of one human with their three trusted friends. Overall it was a riveting adventure!


I’m not a big fan of fantasy and sci-fi, so it says something that I already know this will be one of my favorites for this year. The writing is filled with heart, humor and hope, the plotting and world-building is fantastic and the characters are so memorable. Nurse Ratched and Rambo alone are worth this read, but I loved Victor and Hap’s dynamic and Gio as well!


If you want a story that includes adventure, romance, diverse representation, fantasy, sci-fi and a little bit of inspiration from the classics, this is perfect. I can’t wait to see what TJ Klune comes up with next!


★★★★★ ❤

Thanks to Tor Books, NetGalley and author TJ Klune for this digital ARC to honestly review. It’s due to be published on April 25, 2023.



 

Comments

Popular Posts