Things We Do In the Dark


I’ll cut to the chase (no story-related pun intended): This was perfectly good, but I hoped for great!


Paris Peralta is found by police holding a bloody straight razor next to the tub holding her now-deceased and much older husband, famous comedian Jimmy Peralta. Did she do it or is there another explanation? 


This scenario looks similar to a murder committed 25 years prior by a woman named Ruby Reyes, better known as The Ice Queen, who was found guilty and imprisoned for killing her older lover.  Funny thing is: Ruby somehow knows Paris, and she wants a share of Paris’ potentially huge inheritance to keep old secrets quiet.  


There’s SO much potential in that premise, and that’s the story I wanted to read.  I wanted the razzle dazzle twists, nail-biting suspense and big thrills one might expect with such an intriguing set-up! What I got was more of a long, sad backstory for Paris, alternating with her present day legal troubles. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it. It had enough twists and red herrings to satisfy my inner detective and keep me turning the pages.


This was my first Hillier book, and I genuinely liked her writing, and for the most part, the story.  When I put aside my thriller hopes and just read it as a mystery with some psychological head games and family dysfunction, it was a good story. 


My biggest issue with the book is that I felt a general lack of connection to Paris. I felt sympathetic to her circumstances, but I didn’t feel that emotionally invested in her as a person. What I LOVED is that she was Filipina, rather than another homogeneously white female MC so common in the genre. 


All things said, I will absolutely be reading Hillier’s previous and future titles.  The talent is clearly there, and I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next!


★★★ ½  (rounded to 3)


Thanks to St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books, NetGalley and author Jennifer Hillier for the opportunity to honestly review this ARC.  It will be published July 19, 2022.



 

Comments

Popular Posts