The Younger Wife


If someone had asked me a week ago if I thought a hot water bottle would ever feature prominently in a compelling family drama/mystery, I’d probably have looked at them and said, “You mean those funny-looking pink rubbery things that my grandma used?” Well, that day has come and you’ll just have to read this to figure out where that silly-looking thing comes into play!


Stephen Aston is a well-respected heart surgeon in an unorthodox family situation.  He’s just divorced his wife, Pam, who has advanced dementia, in order to marry their one-time interior designer, Heather, who’s younger than both of his daughters, Tully (Natalie) and Rachel.  It’s a bizarre situation, but that’s how this family rolls and everyone seems willing to make it work. Think that’s weird?  Stephen also invited Pam to his wedding.  What?!


When the book opens with said wedding and something unexpected happens - the reader isn’t privy to what happened or who it involves until much later in the book, the story goes back to the months preceding the wedding, delving deeper into Rachel, Tully and Heather’s lives, and more indirectly, Stephen’s. ALL of these characters are complicated and fascinating in their own ways, and Hepworth is SO good at creating personalities and backstories that draw you in.  I loved Rachel’s strength, Tully’s “quirks” and Heather’s vulnerability.  Dysfunction abounds, but c’mon … that’s kinda what makes people more interesting, right? 


Now, here’s the tricky part. I love when a book can fool me, and this one kept me guessing until the end, so kudos to Hepworth for that.  What I have mixed feelings about, though, is the ending, which seems to be a sticking point for many readers, though I’ve heard she rewrote it, or at least parts of it, for the published version.  As for this version, readers are interpreting it very differently, which is going to affect how they feel about events.  In my interpretation, I didn’t like where it left certain characters and thought it was a little cruel after everything they’d been through.  Did it ruin it? Absolutely not!  It’s great domestic suspense and for the most part I loved it.  I’ll be eager to see the published version to see how it affects my feelings!


★★★★ ½ (rounded down to 4)


Thanks to St. Martin’s Press, NetGalley, and author Sally Hepworth for this ARC.  I’ve given my opinions freely and honestly.  It’s now available.



 

Comments

Popular Posts