The No-Show


Pretend you're having lunch with three friends who've all been on recent dates with the same guy who showed up late each time.  The first enthusiastically tells you, "My date was WONDERFUL!  I had to wait quite awhile for him to show up, but when he finally did, BOY was he worth the wait!"  The second one says a bit more conservatively, "I wasn't sure I'd like him after he was so late arriving, but he ended up being a pretty cool guy after all." Your third friend isn't feeling so generous, and she says, "I waited all that time for THIS? Ugh."

That's NOT the story of the three dates in this book, but rather the story of all the reviews I've read for it, ranging from glowing to unimpressed.  As for me, I'm the second friend.  I waited for what started to feel like too long for my "date" to show up - in this case, the big reveal that made me see the book in a different light - but once it did, I truly enjoyed the book's company and was so glad I didn't give up the wait and walk out!

Joseph Carter, the titular "No-Show" of this story is - to use a famous Winston Churchill quote - "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma". I thought I had him all figured out as a mild-mannered lothario who's just stringing along the three very different,  but equally fascinating women of the story: Siobhan, a life coach, Miranda, a tree surgeon, and Jane, a charity shop volunteer. I questioned what on earth O'Leary could possibly do to turn my opinion of him around. Well, I shouldn't have doubted her for a moment!  She masterfully puts all the pieces together in the final third, and in a way that genuinely surprised me and touched my heart.

My advice?  You may have to wait awhile for this date to start, but stick around!  You may not think it's the best one you've ever been on, but you'll probably have some lovely memories of it to share with your friends and, if you're like me, possibly even a resolution to not judge by appearances next time around!

★★★★

Thanks to Berkley Publishing, Netgalley, and author Beth O'Leary for this ARC.  I've given my opinions honestly and freely.  This is now available.

 

Comments

Popular Posts