The House in the Cerulean Sea




Phew. Despite SEVEN previously interrupted attempts to get through this book, I’m delighted to say the EIGHTH time was the charm, and I was charmed indeed!  I listened to it on audiobook, and Daniel Henning was downright amazing with the very large cast of voices!

Linus Baker is a long-time caseworker for DICOMY (The Department in Charge of Magical Youth).  His job is to oversee children with magical abilities living in orphanages to make sure they’re being cared for properly and not causing harm to others. He follows the Rules and Regulations and prides himself on his ability to keep his feelings out of his decisions. When he’s unexpectedly summoned by Extremely Upper Management one day and given a highly secretive one-month mission to report on an orphanage and its caretaker on mysterious Marsyas Island, he discovers FAR more than he bargained for.  

I loved Klune’s Under the Whispering Door (Review), so my expectations for this were sky-high and I’m happy to say it didn’t disappoint.  Both are wonderful and loaded with magic, sweetness and his fabulous humor, and my only criticism is that the messaging felt a bit heavy-handed at times.  To be fair, themes of diversity, inclusivity, choosing your family, human rights, and many others are worthy ones to highlight!

If you’re like me, you’ll fall in love with ALL these characters - even the cranky ones, but particularly the six unusual children!  I don’t want to detail who or what they are, because the surprise of it is half the fun, but I will say the things they said and did - I’ll never forget Luci - were hilarious and heart-warming in turn, and Henning’s voicing for every character was perfect!

When an author can create memorable characters and worlds you wish you could stay in just a little longer, you know they're doing something right, and Klune masterfully does just that. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next. Bring on the magic!


Comments

Popular Posts