The Golden Couple


The only thing Avery Bishop and the word "average" have in common is their first three letters.  She is anything but your average therapist; in fact, "unorthodox" is a far better term to describe her, and her newest clients Marissa and Matthew Bishop are about to discover how far outside the box Avery is willing to go to help their marriage after Marissa confesses that she slept with another man.  There's a reason Avery isn't licensed anymore, but her new freedom certainly lets her be more ... ummmm ... creative in her approach!

This is my first book by the duo Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen and I wasn't disappointed.  I read it on my Kindle while also listening to the audiobook, wonderfully narrated by one of my faves, Marin Ireland, and Karissa Vacker, both of whom brought the characters to life perfectly - even the Bishops' young son Bennett, which can sometimes be tricky for narrators to do authentically.

I'm not going to deep dive into the book, since plenty of reviews have done that already, but if you enjoy a book that keeps you guessing until the end and where you suspect nearly EVERY character at some point, you'll enjoy this one.  It's not full-on thriller, but more simmering suspense and mystery, and I thought the authors did a stellar job with misdirection.  My only complaint might be that, while I loved the final reveal, some aspects of the ending afterward wrapped up a little too neatly and easily, but nothing that took away from my enjoyment.

I'll say this:  Avery may not play by the book, but I'm glad she's the star of this one.  She's a fun character, and I hope I'll be seeing her again!

★★★★

Thanks to St. Martin's Press, NetGalley, and authors Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen for this ARC. My opinions have been given freely and honestly. This is now available.





 

Comments

Popular Posts