The Thursday Murder Club



I’m kinda bummed as I write this review - not because this book, which I listened to on audiobook, is anything less than charming and delightfully well-written, because it is those things and Richard Osmon deserves all the praise he’s getting for it. The narration by Lesley Manville is truly absolute perfection as well. Really. I can’t recommend it highly enough!

It’s just: why did my mind decide to pick this particular book that I’ve so been looking forward to, to behave like a distractible hyperactive toddler in a candy store? It took me way too long to get through this book and those constant interruptions broke the flow of the story more than I would’ve liked. It didn’t ruin it, but I definitely plan a re-read in the future to catch all the nuances I undoubtedly missed. All-in-all, I still really enjoyed it and am so impressed with Osman’s debut effort.

This story of four septuagenarians - Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim, and Ron - living in Cooper’s Chase, an upscale retirement village, who band together to solve murder cases as part of the Thursday Murder Club is uplifting, warm-hearted, humorous, melancholy and heart-breaking at times, but full of life and spirit, and is well worth the effort of reading or listening to it.

The story intersperses third person narrative with sweet, man-crazy Joyce’s first person POV, as told through her diary entries, which I liked because she’s so irresistibly lovable. Elizabeth is a firecracker - astute, fearless and fun. No-nonsense Ron and intellectual Ibrahim complete this fab four with loads of personality as well. I won’t do a deep dive on the other characters because there are way too many, but suffice it to say the others are every bit as well thought-out and realized as our four main protagonists. My personal fave of these is Bogdan the Polish handyman. He’s a hoot.

The story has red herrings galore, mysterious backstories, twists, turns and fantastic plotting wrapped in a lovely, feel-good package that is perfect for those who enjoy a more relaxed, cozy mystery.

Final note: There’s a 47 minute interview at the end between author Marian Keyes interviewing Richard Osmon, that is really insightful into his thought-processes in writing this and where he drew inspiration from for the characters. It also gives some sneak peeks into which characters will be in the next installment, so I’m thrilled to know that a number of favorites are returning. If you have the audio version, give this a listen!

★★★★ ❤ (might’ve been higher if my brain had behaved)





 

Comments

Popular Posts