The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

 


I’ve never read anything from Abbi Waxman before, but after reading this book, I’m a new fan.  This story about the introverted, day planner-obsessed, trivia-loving, cat-owning, and very single bibliophile, Nina Hill, is charming, funny, and all the fluffy fun my heart could want.  When Nina suddenly inherits a whole colorful new family after her previously unknown and ridiculously wealthy father dies, her world is opened up to these new relationships she never even realized she was missing.  Added to the mix is a cute fellow trivia buff named Tom from an opposing team in her quiz league, and some comical co-workers from the bookstore she works at, along with the rest of the cast of quirky characters, and you have all the ingredients for a comically messy and entertaining book.  

I said this in one of my updates, but if anyone has read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman, Nina has shades of Eleanor, if you could imagine Eleanor having a more adventurous, fun half-sister.  If Eleanor is buttoned up, Nina has a few more buttons open.  Nina is all kinds of awkward, which creates many comical moments where she silently chides herself for some new ridiculous thing she said out loud, and I found that so relatable.  Who of us hasn’t wanted to shovel our words back in our mouths or hide in the nearest closet after saying something stupid?  It made me love her all the more.  Watching her navigate new relationships with her relatives (her nephew Peter is particularly delightful), her potential new romance, and the precarious survival of her beloved workplace had me totally invested and rooting for her all the way.  I should also mention she has a talking cat, Phil.  OK, not technically, but Nina’s imagination supplies the words his mouth can’t, and he’s awesome. :)

It’s a pretty standard rom-com plotline, so if you enjoy those, I think you’ll enjoy this.  It’s full of warmth, a number of laugh-out-loud moments and very likable characters, and it was just what I needed to brighten my day.

★★★★★ ❤️

Comments

Popular Posts